Here is something I experimented with to make a Chick-fil-a inspired sandwich with cauliflower. Usually, if I want a meatless sandwich, I make some seitan, but I wasn’t feeling up to the effort and went with some cauliflower I had on hand.
Gather the ingredients.
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Pickle Juice
- ⅓ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tsp. Paprika
- 2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Ranch Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Peanut oil for frying
- Ninja Instant Cooker
Let’s go to work.
- Pour pickle juice and ranch seasoning into your instant cooker with the whole head of cauliflower.
- Set the cooker to high pressure, allow it to come to pressure, and then immediately do a quick release.
- Carefully remove the cauliflower and cut 2 – 3 “steaks” out of the middle. You can use the remaining florets to make “nuggets”.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour and spices.
- Place the buttermilk in a shallow dish.
- Dip each cauliflower steak in the buttermilk and then coat it in the flour mixture.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the cauliflower until golden brown.
- ‘Nuff said! Pull the cauliflower out of the oil, let it rest for a few minutes, then enjoy some Cauli-fil-a Sandwiches!